For the next recipe in the Betty Crocker Project, my friend Bari (@thegratefullplate on Instagram) came up with this vegan version of Betty’s rice pudding. If you’re not already a rice pudding lover, this may be the recipe that converts you, vegan or not.
Serves 2, generously.
***This post may contain affiliate links. As a Sakara and Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This is at no cost to you but helps me run my website.***
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp orange zest
- Optional: 1 tbsp plant-based butter, like Monty’s
- Stir all ingredients except the butter in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer on low, uncovered, for about 20 mins, stirring frequently to prevent sticking.
- Taste. If the rice seems ready, remove from heat. Otherwise, continue to simmer until the rice is done. Add more coconut milk as needed.
- For extra creaminess, stir in the butter.
- Serve warm or refrigerate. Garnish with cinnamon and orange zest.