The best chocolate chip cookie recipe I’ve ever baked – and it just happens to be vegan AND gluten-free AND refined sugar-free.
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (softened but not melted)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce or 1 banana (optional but recommended if you prefer a chewier cookie)
- 1 flax (or regular if you’re not vegan) egg = 1 tbsp ground flax + 2.5 tbsp water
- 2 tsp vanilla
Combine the above ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free 1:1 all-purpose flour such as Cup4Cup Wholesome Blend (see note below)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Large pinch sea salt
Combine the above ingredients and then add to the wet mix.
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips like Hu Kitchen gems (made with coconut sugar)
Stir in the chocolate chips. Spoon the cookie dough into a baking sheet, rolling into balls.
Very important ~ DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP ~ refrigerate dough at least 90 mins or freeze for at least 15. Bake at 350 for 9-12 mins depending on the size you made the cookies and preferred consistency.
*Note: Whole wheat all-purpose, regular all-purpose, and spelt flour all work well. Oat flour works but will result in a flatter cookie. If you use a gluten-free flour, make sure the blend includes xanthan gum; otherwise, you will need to add this yourself.